Cooking With Culture!!
Made Brazilian Feijoada for dinner last night.
Triple Berry Coffee Cake!! :)
Great dessert or morning treat……,
…….and you can use ANY berries you have in your fridge!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups berries
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
3.In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in butter, milk, vanilla and egg until smooth.
4.Fold in berries. Pour into prepared pan.
5.Bake in preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes, until top is firm.
Turkish Stuffed Bell Peppers w/Dill Havarti
- Bell peppers -3 or 4
- Tomato sauce - 2 small cans
- Crushed garlic - 5 cloves
- Ground beef - 1 lb
- Onion - 1/2
- Salt & Pepper
- Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
- Fresh Dill - 1 bunch
- Dried red pepper - 1 pinch
*Preheat oven to 350*
8 STEPS TO AN AWESOME CULTURED MEAL……
1. Cut tops off peppers & drop in boiling water until tender (10-15 min)
2. Cook rice
3. Cook up ground beef in skillet (MED) with crushed garlic, chopped onions & salt/pepper to taste
3. Add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes & 1/4 cup of fresh cut dill, broken into pieces
4. Once rice is cooked, add to skillet and stir, simmer on low.
5. Drain water from pepper, scoop out center & place in a baking dish
6. Spoon filling into peppers, pressing down with back of spoon to pack it in
7. Add more fresh dill on top & several small cubes of dill havarti
8. Place in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
9. Enjoy!! :)
Very interesting cookie with a twist!!!
Zucchini & Squash Italian Casserole
A great ‘veggie’ dish to finally use up that zucchini that has been sitting in your vegetable bin since your last shopping trip. This is also a quick week night meal that everyone will love & it tastes great for lunch the next day! :)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, cubed
- 1-2 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan (or romano)
- 1 tbsp all seasoning (I like Trader Joes 21 seasoning)
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese (choose your favorite), divided
- Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, squash, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Add chopped tomatoes. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, all seasoning and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, and 1 cup shredded cheese.Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven & add remaining cup of shredded cheese on top.
Zesty Lemon Lebanese Chicken & Potatoes!
This is such an easy & delicious way to give your standard chicken dinner a little boost!! The lemon, cumin & honey combine to make a unique blend of flavors that won’t disappoint your taste buds :)
- 8 cut up chicken pieces or tenders
- 1 - 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemon pepper (if available)
- 1 tsp all spice (I like Trader Joes 21 seasoning)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place chicken and potatoes in a large baking dish (lightly greased). Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, stir together garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin & rosemary. Pour over chicken and potatoes, mix well. Top with lemon pepper & all spice then cover dish with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil, increase heat to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C), and cook until chicken and potatoes are golden, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour honey over the top just before serving
**Adapted from original recipe on Allrecipes.com**